Ode To The Farmers' Market


Photo Credit: http://bit.ly/1YTFopP
A big part of the semi-adventurous life is everyday adventures. Getting out of the house, going somewhere, and just doing something. It doesn't have to be a big endeavor, but it should support your interests or expand your horizons. These mini trips really allow me to clear my head and feel refreshed. One of my favorite summer adventures is my weekly trip to the St. Paul Farmers' Market, which opens for the season this Saturday. More than just a trip for groceries, the Farmers' Market combines time in the city, getting outdoors, and cooking. It also gives me the chance for an hour of one-on-one time with my daughter.
Aww isn't she a cutie?
I truly love spending time in the city. The towers of bricks, concrete and glass, jutting in the sky like mountains; layers of buildings of varying heights and styles; even the sound of the city draws me in. It helps when you live in a well-maintained metropolis like St Paul or Minneapolis. The sense of civic pride we take in maintaining and improving our city is especially impressive when compared to other metropolitan areas like Indianapolis, which I found disappointing. Don't even get me started on the great taprooms, restaurants and bike trails (all of which I'll discuss eventually). Even though I live only 5 minutes from downtown St Paul, I don't visit nearly often enough.
The view from Raspberry Island
Seemingly counter-intuitive to my love of the city is the outdoors aspect. However, outside is outside, whether it's a grassy field or a bus stop. So yeah I can get organic vegetables from Target, but the florescent lights don't give the same ambiance as sunlight. Throw in a light breeze and the Famers' Market hits all the right outdoors buttons for me. It also helps that it's located just a block from Mears Park, surrounded by artist's lofts and right next to the new CHS Field for the St Paul Saints. It's right in the heart of possibly my favorite area of the Twin Cities.

Of course, the purpose of the trip to the Farmers' Market is food, and what a place shop! When I'm feeling like expanding my culinary horizons (basically always) there's no shortage of options  Fresh herbs-Check! Weird vegetables- Of course! Beef heart- Why not! Kale- Duh! Also remember that the St Paul Farmers' Market requires all items to grown or produced locally. Oh and I almost about the mini restaurant in the middle: coffee, lemonade, bagels and more.
Admit it, you're hungry now.
So yeah, as you can see I have more than a little love for the Farmers' Market. It also helps that these trips are guilt-free from a family time standpoint. I can bring Evy with, and she loves helping me pick out vegetables or convincing me to buy her fresh flowers. This summer Oliver will probably start joining the trips too, but stroller navigation isn't always the easiest. Each weekend when I get home from the Farmers' Market I have a renewed sense of energy and enthusiasm. I've had fun and been productive, all while enjoying it with family. It's a little everyday adventure that look forward to each week, and that's a big deal.




Comments

Popular Posts